Monday, February 15, 2021

It's Faux - Technique Blog Hop

 


Welcome to the February 2021 Technique Blog Hop!  If you get lost, or find a broken link, you can get the list of participants on Melissa's page (which also happens to be your next stop).  You may have arrived from Haley's blog. Complete the hop by following the links from blog to blog so you don't miss any of the artwork.

This month we are featuring faux techniques. Yes, I did look it up via Webster's online, so if you didn't know...

\ ˈfō \

Definition of faux

not real or genuine: such as
amade to look like something else that is usually more valuable IMITATIONFAKEfaux leather/fura string of faux pearls… faux is the French word for fake, but it's a very chic fake. Faux marble, for example, is found in the best of homes.— Sylvia Sachs
Plus, faux sounds much nicer than fake. Don't you agree? 

I was playing around with scraps and thinking about this months blog hop. (I was inspired by a card by former CTMH Consultant Laurel Seabrook.) Somewhere in between “that works” and “which technique should I do?” it occurred to me that several Faux techniques can be done with the February Stamp Of The Month, Doodled Borders.

Here’s my card:


How many Faux techniques can you name? After I see what amazing things the other consultants share, I’ll come back and note if there are techniques on my cards that no one mentioned. By the way, the gingham border is designed as a border, so you'll need to mask if you want to make it taller, vs. wider. So after making four 1x1 squares and throwing out more than four, I switched to a different stamp. I also played with moving the colors.




One of the 36 stamps in Doodled Borders (faux doodling!!) is a short dashed or stitched line. It may be Faster, Simpler and Easier to use a longer stamp such as the one in Counting My Blessings. However, here are some ideas for keeping this shorter stamp lined up when stamping across a larger area:

1. Start in the middle. This is a good tip for letter stamping too! If you start at one end, you tend to go up or down as you move across the paper. Starting in the middle gives you a chance to start over when you finish one side.


2. Use the line. See that little line on the block? Every Close To My Heart My Acrylix Block has that line. It’s great for getting stamps onto you block straight, or to line up letters. But I often use it as a guide for where to stamp. By lining up your stamp just a bit away from the line, you can match the line to the edge or your paper which will give you even spacing.  Look straight down through the clear block. Placing your paper on a VersaMat not only provides a cushion for stamping, but also makes it easy to see the edge of a white card base.


Side Note: Be sure to wipe your VersaMat off with the Stamp Shammy if you stamp  anything off the edge, or you'll get extra "embellishments" on the back of your card, or sometimes the inside [gasp!].


3. Use a ruler. Place a ruler on your project as if you were going to draw a guide line (yet another option). Line up you stamp next to the ruler, right on your imaginary line. 


Here's one of the final card bases:


On some of the first cards I made, I didn't worry much about how straight the elements were; I was going for a scrappy quilt look. If you want to see the original cards I was making, you can find them on Pinterest. I had a bunch of leftover pieces from using the Heart Background and Multi-Square Windows Thin Cuts dies. How do you use your scraps? Usually I wait and see if I have a need for the specific size & color but this time I went backwards to see what I could make with the leftovers. It was also one of those times when a messy desk lead to ideas, Doodled Borders happened to be nearby.

Thanks for stopping by! If you need supplies, check out my website.  Please leave a comment then head to Melissa's page.

UPDATE:  Here are the faux techniques on my card:
  • faux stitching (Did you realize how many ways this can be done?)
  • faux printed paper
  • faux embossing
  • faux washi tape
  • and maybe faux doodling if you count the stamp set! ;-)

6 comments:

Haley D. said...

That is some incredibly precise stamping! WOW! Cute card too!

Darlys said...

Great card! I would say it's also a faux quilt - esp. the first card. Amazing stamping!

Michelle said...

Wow! Great cards and wonderful Faux techniques!

Cat Nowak said...

Great cards and faux techiniques!

Katy said...

You knocked it out of the park with all the faux techniques, gf! LOVE this card and especially those little pennants at the top right!

Lauren said...

What a great blend of techniques to make this adorable card!