Thursday, April 15, 2021

Dazzling Dimension - CTMH Technique Blog Hop

 

Welcome to The Scrap Buzz and this month's edition of the Technique Blog Hop. You have arrived from Miss Carrie's page. Keep following the links to visit all of the participants as we Show You How to add Dazzling Dimension to your projects.

When I think of dimension, I think of layers. I chose to use the Layered Flower Background Thin Cuts. These have been in my stash for a while but I hadn't gotten around to playing with them. All three dies come together.

These dies are so well designed it makes "fancy" cards Faster, Simpler, and Easier to make! The hardest thing is deciding which paper(s) to use. To select my colors, I turned to our fabulous Love of Color books. In Volume 2 I found the combination of Sangria, Peacock and Linen. In Volume 1 I found Sundance, Desert Rose, Peacock and Peach. Then I consulted the color wheel and found Sangria, Peacock and Sundance formed a triangle; they are a triadic color combination.

Do you save ridiculously small scraps??  I saved the dots and the largest leaves and made a little flower on the inside of my card. I know I tossed quite a few tiny pieces and Cricut negatives when we moved last summer, so I figured I could start a new collection! The dots might be nice in shaker cards. I used a sentiment from the Operation Smile set called Every Bit of Wonderful.


To give my card extra dimension, I cut the three layers again out of some retired paper. When assembling, I attached the two identical layers first, then attached them to the card base, bottom to top. Does it look like there is much difference? FYI I weighed my card and it is still until the 1 ounce for first class letter postage in the US.


I had to try another color combination. This time I pulled three colors from the Lovely collection: Blue Belle, Sage, and Ballerina. I cut two 4.5x12 pieces from each 12x12 sheet so I could make four cards. When cutting the bottom two layers I didn't have any trouble and was able to get both dies on the CTMH cutting mat at the same time. I did not try to cut multiple layers, just because I was mixing colors. When doing the top layer I found it worked best if I cut it alone and it needed more pressure than I usually use. I set my CTMH die cutting machine to +1 and ran it through two times. The next time I make one of these, I’ll check it after one pass. TIP:  I learned with my old Cuttlebug to place large straight dies at an angle so the transition isn’t as severe. 


Another way to use this die is to cut all the layers out of the same color. Since I cut each color with all three dies, here’s what that might look like (the layers aren’t attached). I flipped every other layer so it showcases our two-tone cardstock. For these I also added a solid layer but the other cards are built on the white card base. This might be a great way to use up old colored card bases or 8.5 x 11 cardstock!


The first card I assembled I tried one of the liquid tombow glues. I thought I would need "wiggle" room. But the CTMH Adhesive Runner worked better. Don’t forget to work on top of the All-Purpose Mat. I put the top two layers side by side and ran the adhesive along both edges at once. If you have any way-ward dots, use the Rub and Remove Eraser to remove them.


Your next stop is Melissa Robinson. She also has a list of all participants in case you get lost.



6 comments:

Haley D. said...

What a pretty collection!

Kim Loewen said...

This is such a great example of how to add dimension. I love this set of thin cuts and I need to use it more.

Cat Nowak said...

Lovely collection. I love how you created a flower in the inside.

Brandi said...

Fabulous, I love this and all the layers and dimension it creates. Great job!

Melissa Robinson said...

Oooh...that Thin Cut is perfect for adding dimension! I need to do more with it! Thanks for the reminder and inspiration!

Lauren said...

I love all your different variations of this layered thin cut- it's so pretty!