Saturday, January 15, 2022

Let's Get Geometrical - CTMH Technique Blog Hop


Whether you arrived from Danielle's page or just stumbled upon us, WELCOME to TheScrapBuzz blog and this month's Technique Hop. For January, we are focusing on Geometric Shapes/Patterns.  Follow the links to hop from blog to blog for techniques, tips, and artwork!
 
If you get lost, find broken links or have other issues, you can find a list of all this month's participants on Melissa's page. Our group is larger this month - how exciting!!  Be sure your are commenting so the Makers know you appreciate their efforts and continue to share their projects!

I was uploading digital images to my Cricut account recently, including Geometric Circle, and thought it would perfect for our theme.

I used a pattern called Circle Collection from one of our retired How To books called Wishes. It's also similar to this card from the current seasonal catalog.

 
The circle shape reminded me of one of the the Candid Moments papers, so I used that collection for my color palette and the patterned paper. It was hard to decide if I wanted to feature the triangle or circle on my project.


I used an extra image as a stencil and sponged onto the 5x7 card front with matching Carolina ink.


The circle made me think of shakers so I pulled out the Happy Birthday die. I was surprised that the orange Bitty Beads coordinated with the peach and papaya!  They look like sundance in my picture.

And now for some sad news:  While working on this card I discovered one of the Thin Cuts from my Party Gnomes set is missing. I know I had it several months ago. I looked for a while but it wasn't anywhere obvious. Perhaps it will show up on the bottom of an ink pad or in a pack of cardstock someday. I hope it didn't get tossed with paper scraps!!


Make sure this tragedy doesn't happen to you!!  Always put your Thin Cuts back onto the magnetic sheet (included with all Thin Cuts). I usually do, so I'm not sure what could have happened, other than the gift is smaller that the other shapes.  Another tip was shared by a Maker back when we carried chalk markers, but it works with White Gel Pens too!  (We featured the pens in our hop last month.)  Simply trace around your dies so you know they're all there when you put them away.  Be sure to let the ink dry before you move your shapes. I found the 0.8 size (medium) worked best for me.


While fussy cutting the gifts, I realized I could easily make a present with the bow on a horizontal box by using a sticky note to Pick-and-Omit the stamp image.


This is the first time I used any of my Precious Metals Metallic Markers. I colored the fork and belt buckle, then added a little stitching here and there. These are definitely something I need to play with in the future!

Please scroll down and leave a comment then hop over to see what Maz has to share this month!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Great cards using geometric shapes! Well done.

Katy said...

Cute cards! I hope you find your missing gnome thin cut :0( I used to run my magnet carrier sheet through my die-cut machine (before we had the magnetic plate) so a lot of mine have the images etched in the carrier sheet. GREAT tip to use a white gel pen or chalk marker too!

Haley D. said...

All of your elements work so well together! Very cute card!

Darlys said...

Adorable cards, and love what you've done on both! I'm inspired!

DanyellScraps said...

Your cards are so clever. I love the different geometrical elements happening. They work so well with each other.

Maz said...

Great use of the Geometric Circle, as both as a stencil & as part of the card. Great tip about marking out your thin cuts on the magnetic sheet - sometimes I forget how they all fitted onto the sheet when you haves lots of metal shapes.

Kim Loewen said...

What a great card. I love your use of circles & triangles. I hope your thin cut shows up.

~Michelle said...

What a fun card! You managed to get a TON of depth on your card with your layers and stenciling! I haven't used the metallic pens yet, but it looks like I need to get them and use them!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Brandi said...

Fabulous card, I love it! So much fun!

Cat Nowak said...

Great card! I somehow missed that geometric circle, thanks for pointing it out.